Youth Advocacy Council
The Youth Advocacy Council (YAC) is a youth development program that empowers San Antonio area teens to become leaders of change in their community through civic participation at local and state levels. Healthy Futures of Texas engages high school-age youth in outreach, education, and advocacy to increase access to evidence-based sexual health education and to teen-friendly preventive healthcare.
- To increase civic engagement among YAC members.
- To increase YAC parent engagement.
- To improve local policies to address teen pregnancy prevention.
Members participate in:
- Bi-weekly meetings (August to May)
- Community service
- Advocacy training and sexual health education
- Educational visits with elected officials
- Advocacy Day during legislative session (2020) to educate legislators about evidence-based sexual health education and teen-friendly healthcare
- Healthy Futures of Texas annual Luncheon with the Stars
- 3 campaign initiatives per year – October: “Let’s Talk Month”, February: Teen Dating Violence Awareness, and May: “Sex Ed for All”
Click here to download your application!
The application period for YAC has ended for the 2019-2020 cycle, but we are always accepting applications to keep on file.