Steps Toward Becoming Culturally Competent
Being culturally competent means understanding, communicating with, and effectively interacting with people across cultures. Understanding our own cultural norms may be completely opposite from another’s which could potentially lead to misunderstandings, misinterpretations, loss of productivity and exclusions.
- Self Reflect— Recognize and understand your own values, beliefs, and norms and how they shape your views of the world
- Awareness — Increase your knowledge of other particular cultures and recognize there may be differing views within the group
- Be proactive — Don’t be afraid to ask questions– but do so respectfully
- Acceptance — Be open, don’t be afraid to step outside your comfort zone
- Embrace — Develop skills of diverse communication and interaction
- Communicate — Interact with diverse groups/cultures
Want more information to help you and your peers in the workplace? Check out these 10 steps to assist you in creating change at work!